Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Pregnancy: The best diet

I remember early on in my pregnancy feeling a great sense of duty in nutritional intake. Normally I was a burgers n fries gal, but I was determined to become the kind of purist you only read about in snotty parenting magazines. My boyfriend and I went grocery shopping and I had a strict list of what I needed to have to ensure a healthy, wonderful gestation. I bought every green vegetable I saw, some of which I couldn't even pronounce. I went the grainy seedy bread route. White meat. Dairy, lots of it. Yoghurt and I were going to have to learn to like one another.

$200 later, we put the food away and I felt quite accomplished...until I was hungry. I tried. I really did. I tried veggies and they just tasted bland. I tried cooking but our apartment was not only cramped, but extremely messy. The kitchen was practically a hallway. We hated the layout and at some point had given up on it. Dishes were done once a week if that, laundry was a disaster...one did not feel inspired to cook or get comfortable in that crap hole. I packed a lunch, including the yoghurt and ended up going to Wendy's. (To my credit, I got the baked potato instead of fries).

Then the inevitable..."morning" sickness hit. As many of you know, it doesn't happen only in the morning. I threw up morning, noon and night. I was lucky to never have been physically ill while at work, but before and after were pretty gross. The stupidest things would set me off. Bread was a big no-no. I hated the smell of bread in the bag. It just made me gag. I had to ask my boyfriend to take bread out of the bag for me if I wanted to have a sandwich. It got to the point where if I even looked at the bag of bread I'd go running to the bathroom. I threw up so many times that I really didn't gain much weight. I was sick for five and half months.

When the sickness was finally finished, I was ready to eat. But I didn't want any of the stuff all the books told me I should have. I wanted poutine. BAD. I wanted McDonalds. BAD. After a while, I just gave up and ate whatever I felt like. I could have done well to have eaten more fruit, but I more than made up for it in dairy. I drank carton upon carton of milk. This is quite something, as I was lactose intolerant before getting prego. I can definitely say that pregnancy solved that issue (thank goodness!!)

Today, if I have a stomach bug or if I eat something that doesn't agree with me, and I think that throwing up will help, I don't have to do the finger down the throat trick....all I have to do is think about yoghurt, bread in a bag smell and it's all downhill from there.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment